When Cathy Johnson says she makes people’s dreams of homeownership a reality, she knows from experience what that dream means to Alaskans.
Today, Cathy is a Senior Loan Officer for Movement Mortgage in Juneau. But more than two decades ago she was a recently divorced single mother with two kids who had gone through bankruptcy. To make matters worse, she had just lost the home she was renting because the owners were selling it and had moved in with a friend.
Help With The Dream of Homeownership
Fortunately, she knew the owners of her home and they referred her to a mortgage loan officer. While Cathy thought there was little hope of being able to buy a home with her financial situation, the loan officer found Alaska Housing Finance Corporation programs that allowed her to purchase a condo.
“Homeownership changes lives,” Cathy said. “Alaska Housing’s programs did that for me personally.”
A New Start
It was the start of a completely new life for Cathy. The loan officer she met with saw something in her and offered Cathy a job as a loan processor. She worked her way up to become a loan originator.
And not long after she had to leave the home she was renting, the property was subdivided into three lots and new houses were built. Five years after having her life upended by the forced move, Cathy bought one of those new houses. Now, she is committed to giving others the same opportunities she received.
“I really feel I’ve been blessed in finding my calling to do this. When people come to me that are kind of beat up and bruised by life circumstances, then somebody’s got to believe in them. And I’m all for that. Life happens to you, it’s just what you do from there that matters.”
– Cathy Johnson, Senior Loan Originator, Movement Mortgage in Juneau
Benefits of Alaska Housing
For Alaskans looking to buy homes, Cathy often informs them about Alaska Housing options for numerous reasons, including:
- AHFC’s stable interest rates.
- Alaska Housing offers assumable loans, which means a prospective buyer can take over the existing loan – often with lower interest rates than are currently available.
- AHFC’s no-cost homebuyer education courses not only provide important information to Alaskans looking to buy a new home, it can also save them $250 in fees.
- Alaska Housing loans for first-time homebuyers are often one of the best possible choices for individuals looking to buy that first home.
- AHFC offers Energy Efficiency Interest Rate Reduction when financing new or existing energy efficient homes or when borrowers make energy improvements to an existing home.
Meeting the Needs of Alaskans
“Alaska Housing is doing a great job of meeting the needs of Alaskans,” Cathy said.
All of which makes it easier for Cathy to continue helping make a difference in the lives of others.
“I love my job. I love working with people, I love buyers,” she said. “I know personally how buying a home can change your life. And being a part of that is just an immense blessing.”
Alaska Housing does not endorse lenders or real estate licensees, but we are pleased to highlight individual relationships. Thank you to Cathy Johnson (NMLS #199731) of Movement Mortgage – Juneau (NMLS #39179) for participating in this blog post.